Today Family History

Sigmaringen Palace

  The palace of the princes of Hohenzollern in Sigmaringen is built on a limestone rock overlooking the river Danube. It was first mentioned in 1077 and has experienced various alterations since then.

In 1535 the counts (from 1623 on princes) of Hohenzollern became the owners of Sigmaringen Palace and transformed it from a medieval fortress to a splendid and comfortable residence. It was especially Prince Karl Anton of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen (1811-1885) who turned it into a meeting place of the European aristocracy and a home of his valuable art collections. After a fire had destroyed the eastern wing in 1893 the Palace was rebuilt and enlarged under his son Prince Leopold (1835-1905) who commissioned his court architect Johannes de Pay, as well as Albert Geyer from Berlin and eventually Emanuel von Seidl from Munich with this task. The result was an impressive mixture of styles and influences, typical of the late era of historicism at the beginning of the 20th century.

While strolling through the halls and salons of Sigmaringen Palace one can admire magnificent pieces of furniture, porcelain and paintings which give an impression of the lifestyle and culture back then. In the “Museum”, consecrated in 1867, outstanding examples of pre- and early historic artefacts as well as significant works of Swabian painters and sculptors from the 15th and 16th century are on display. The collection of armours and weapons is considered to be one of the largest of its kind in Europe. The carriages, sleighs and sedan chairs exposed in the former stables (“Marstallmuseum”) give an insight into the way of travelling in former times, while the private library (“Hofbibliothek”) houses substantial literature in all areas, specialising on the history of the Hohenzollern family.

Opening hours:

November, February – April:
Daily from 9.30 a.m. – 4.30 p.m.

May – October:
Daily from 9.00 a.m. – 4.45 p.m.

December and January:
Groups by appointment only

© 2007 House of Hohenzollern
Sigmaringen Palace today